Skip to main content
MangaOverload

Thanks to Emman, Xavier, Ian and the rest of the Mangaholix Crew for inviting us to their event last Saturday. Thank you for letting us hang out at that one corner of your booth and for allowing us to sell TRESE.



When Emman invited us and said we were going to their “guest stars”, I assumed there would be other “guests”. (Well, there were musical guests, lots of bands played before the cosplay event-- which was what everyone was waiting for). I just thought there would other comic book creators would also be on stage and we’d all talk about making comic books.

As it turned out we were it. Just me and Kajo on stage with the hosts.
I looked out into the crowd and thought, “99.99% percent of these people are here for the cosplay and anime and manga. Will they really be interested in our book which isn’t really manga?”

Thankfully, the hosts had some questions at hand and that prevented us from having any dead air. Then there were the four very nice people also went up to the mic and asked about TRESE.

I think the interview went well and I can only hope we didn’t bore the audience too much.

We stayed at the event until 7:30pm and I think we were able to sell 30 copies.

30 copies in 7 hours.

Roughly, 4 copies an hour.

I have found new respect for sales ladies and those guys at the mall who try to spray you with a bottle of perfume.

I was standing up most of the time. It just felt weird to just sit there and stare at people walk by. So, I stood outside of the booth, right beside the books.

I noticed some people would stop, look at the book and then the poster and then continue walking. Others would pick up the book and read the blurb at the back.

I then remembered something that our client always required us to write: what is the 5-second spiel you tell your customer? Aside from writing scripts for TV and radio commercials, we also sometimes write that spiel that is said by promo girls at the mall; the ones who give you samples of products. Our client made it a point that the promo girls aka “The Promodizers” always say something about the product and not just give it away.

So, the next time somebody stopped and picked up the book, I took a step towards them and said, “It’s a new horror book. If you’re into horror then you might want to try it. Here’s an open copy if you want to see the art inside.” And there were some people who did end up buying the book.

We also met a couple of people who came to the event because they already bought the book and wanted to hello and told us how much they liked TRESE. Thank you very much for dropping by.

Thanks also to the VPE crew (Ella, Sally, and Eli) for bringing copies of TRESE to the event and most especially to Sally, who kept watch and sold the book during the times we were away from the table.

There were times when me and Kajo were distracted by the cosplayers and Sally would be the one entertaining a customer. She’d then quietly point to us and say, “Gusto niyo magpa-pirma sa kanila? Sila gumawa niyan.” (We later found out that Sally was part of the staff that literally made the book. Her job at VPE is to collate the pages, bind them, glue the cover, and then shrink-wrap the book in plastic. Thank you Sally for all the hard work!)

And for our next trick … me and Kajo plan to lurk around the TOYCON in June. More details about that soon.

p.s. it was our first to go to the SMX (the convention center of SM Mall of Asia). It’s a well-designed place for such events (better designed than the World Trade Center on Roxas Blvd). Makes me wish that the other comic book events can also be held at the SMX, but I was told it’s also one of the most expensive venues. Maybe, with enough sponsors, it can be done.

Thanks to Marco for taking our pic while we were on stage.
MORE MANGAHOLIX PIX FROM MARCO

Kriss Sison & Marco Dimaano
Creators of "NINJA GIRL KO!"


Ninja Girl Not Happy?

Marco & his ninja girl


Marco with cosplay champion Alodia Gosiengfiao

Comments

JayDJ said…
Woohooo ! I was there... with Aileen ang Miguel. Miguel finished reading Trese while we had early dinner at Bluewave. Interesting daw when we asked how he liked it. :)

Pinagmamalaki ko pa sa kanya na college friend and barkada ang gumawa nyan. :) At least hindi lang transformers ang alam niya sa akin.

Cya at Toycon ! :)
We figured you'd be at the event when we saw a lot of people dressed up in costume at MOA. Miguel liked the comic book and asked a lot of questions about Balete Drive when he finished reading it. Congrats sa book!
Anino said…
Binabati ko ang manunulat at ilustrador ng TRESE! Galing!
Budjette said…
hey jay & aileen!
glad you were able to drop by and glad that miguel was intrigued with the book! hope he comes back for Book2! hehehe

hi anino!
thank you very much :)

--budjette

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living