Skip to main content
i d o r u



Last Saturday, at the Mangaholix event, we were lucky enough to be placed on the same side as Alodia Gosiengfiao’s booth. (I think Kajo had plans of leaving after our interview on stage, but when he went back to the booth, he decided to stay.)

For the uninitiated, Alodia has won numerous cosplay events in the past couple of years. She maintains a website that gets thousand of hits every time she uploads a new set of photos.

Most of the time at Mangaholix, the people at the booth were Alodia’s sister Ashley and her DeviantArt/cosplay friends Tricia and Crissey. Some family and friends were also there and they were selling posters and prints of Alodia. (And they were selling faster than copies of TRESE. Hmmm… must re-think marketing plan!)

I’ve heard of Alodia before and have been linked to her DeviantArt site since last year, but I never knew she THAT FAMOUS.

Alodia was one of the judges of the cosplay, so she didn’t really spend a lot of time at the booth. Every time she did drop by to sign autographs, she was accompanied by four bouncers built like football players and right behind them were all her fans. In a matter of seconds, there would be a crowd in front of booth (and most of them spilled over to our booth).

Digicams flashed and phone-cams waved in the air-- all trying to get a shot of her.

The bouncers had to control the crowd and strictly enforced that only one person could approach Alodia for her autograph and get their picture taken with her.

Every time she and her friends posed for the camera, they had their smiles ready. There was that tilt of the head that made their hair fall and cover one eye and then they’d smile that little smile. One of them would always flash the “V” sign with her fingers and placed it ever so slightly at the corner of her mouth. The poses seemed all too natural and yet it felt rehearsed. No … rehearsed isn’t the right word. It was… pre-programmed?

And I remembered William Gibson’s book IDORU, about the artificial intelligence that was programmed to be a celebrity. My brain hyperlinked to an old TIME magazine cover story about a Japanese teen pop star named Ayumi Hamasaki, which talked about Japan’s idol-making machinery. Her quote at the end of the article was: “I don’t have dreams. How can I say it? I myself am a dream.”

I had to step away from the booth and hang out at the Toy Kingdom area because the crowd was getting bigger.

I was just amazed that someone can achieve such celebrity status without having to be on TV or in the movies. In our country, our “idol-making machineries” force actors to become singers and singers to become actors who also double as TV hosts and VJs and DJs and become a “love team” with some one they don’t really love.

And then there’s Alodia, who just happens to be doing the thing she loves a lot and it has brought her fame that would rival the TV network’s so-called stars.


As the crowd pushed to get closer to Alodia, I saw an impatient cosplayer dressed as a … I really don’t know what he was dressed as … but he was at the other end of the booth and he was trying to get the attention of Alodia’s friends. He yelled out their names, but they couldn’t hear him with the crowd and the camera clicks. He cursed under his breath and yelled louder. Finally, the girls turned towards him and they smiled and waved. He pretended to be disappointed that they had forgotten him. They all shook their heads and put on a sorry face that would make any one forgive them even if they just spilled hot instant noodle soup on his lap. And the girls smiled again, titled their heads in that certain way and waved as Mr. Impatient said bye-bye.

I saw a girl edge her way towards Alodia. She was probably still eight feet away from her idol and even though Alodia’s back was turned to her, she told her friend with the phonecam, “Ayan! Kita na siya! Bilis! Kunan mo na kami!” And she smiled for the camera.

Pictures from: http://blackmage9.deviantart.com/

Comments

Mike Abundo said…
"I was just amazed that someone can achieve such celebrity status without having to be on TV or in the movies."

In a world of self-publishing, we are all media.

You won't believe how many emails I get from parents asking me to help get their kids into PBB or PDA or some other bullshit "talent" show. I look at the Philippines today, and I see people hoping to sell their souls for a "big break".

Alodia is different. She's staying true to herself, and making her own breaks.
Unknown said…
wow, her cosplay is amazing. :)

and if wanna know something more about cosplay tutorials, or cosplay how to, you'd better check cosplay classes.

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living