Skip to main content
I wish my phone-cam could’ve taken…

Photo that was never taken #1
On my way to work, at the corner of our street and EDSA, I stopped and clicked on the right-turn signal-light and slowly tried to merge into that historic avenue.

That’s where I saw him standing against the vast white wall that separated the rails of the MRT from the traffic on EDSA. He was a “taong grasa”; dressed in tattered military green shorts and not much else except his dark, grimy skin that was wrapped taut against his skeletal frame.

He stood on the sidewalk-that-wasn’t-a-sidewalk. Even though I was all across on the other side of the four-lane traffic of EDSA, I could imagine the heels of his feet trying to find footing on that slim side of concrete.

He looked across the street, as if meaning to challenge the 10am traffic of buses, trucks, and cars. The skeletal man seemed to shiver as the steady stream of vehicles caused this great wind to rush southwards.

Seeing his dark figure against that white wall made me think of those stereotypical moments when criminals run down an alley and find out it’s a dead end and they turn around to face the cops and they know escape is hopeless.

The skeletal man’s hands clasped the white wall. Was he trying to grab hold of the wall or was he planning to push himself away from the wall?

He glanced towards the north, towards the oncoming traffic and he closed his eyes as a bus roared down the lane beside him. The side of the bus must’ve been just inches away from his face.

The bus passed and he was still there and was once again looking at the other side of the street.

His sunken eyes looked determined to… what was he determined to do? How’d he get there in the first place?

But I could not wait. I was late. I had already merged with the rest of the people traveling south.

As I drove past the EDSA Shrine and glanced at the statue of the Virgin Mary, I said a prayer for the skeletal man and wished to see him tomorrow. Hopefully, he would already be on the other side of the street.

Photo that was never taken #2
Sunday.

Mass at a church in Makati.

I have, unfortunately, developed the bad habit of falling asleep in church during mass. (I think it started when I was in college-- thanks to Saturday night gimmicks that left one with not much sleep and a mother that insisted we attend the 10am mass.) Which is why I usually
stand in the back of the church. At least, if I’m standing up, I won’t fall asleep. (Although that already happened.)

At the back of this church, I noticed a man sitting at one of the pews. He was tall. (Well, he was taller than me.) He was thin. (He was thinner than me.) He reminded me of those photographs of the Jews in German concentration camps. His pale skin obviously has not seen much sunlight. He wore a simple short-sleeved polo and grey slacks. It seemed like he didn’t bother to comb his thinning wisps of white hair.

I noticed that as the priest gave his sermon, the old man was jotting down notes in this little spiral-bound notebook. It was the size of a tickler (like the ones we were required to have during ROTC training, but we never really used it). He would look up, listen to the priest, and then jot down several lines.

At first, I thought, he was a very devout man.

Soon after the sermon, when the priest asked everyone to stand up, the old man continued to write down in his little notebook. He would look up, stare at the altar, listen intently, then he would jot down some lines.

That made me nervous.

That made me curious.

That made me want to include him in some future story.

He continued to take dictation until the mass ended. He closed his notebook, placed it in his shirt pocket along with his ballpen.

I’ve seen him several times and every Sunday that I do see him, he still has his notebook and pen and is always fervently writing down notes; or maybe they are instructions. Maybe they are prophecies. Or it might have just been his weekend grocery list.

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living