Skip to main content
.

My mom hoped that her second child would be a girl.

That’s why she was planning to name her Franchesa-Bernadette, I honor of her two best friends.

As fate would have it, her second child turned out to be a boy.

And that’s why he got named Francis-Bernard.

My dad’s favorite drink, til the day he died, was Fundador Brandy. That’s what he usually drank when he got home at night, while watching TV and smoking his cigarettes. He’d take a sip of brandy and a sip from his tall glass of water.

And that’s why Francis-Bernard got the nickname Brandie.

When we were kids, my mom would always point out to guests that Brandie’s a Taurus and I’m a Scorpio and that’s why we’ll always clash. Maybe it was because I kept hearing that spiel over and over again and that’s why I didn’t want Brandie around me. (Or maybe baby brothers always have that amazing power to annoy you-- at whatever age.) Anyway, I remember the times when I’d try to keep him out of the playroom so I can have all the toys to myself. During grade school, my friends would come over and he’d always want to hang out in my room and I’d always try to throw him out.

Eventually, I got tired trying to throw him out because he was getting heavy.

Soon enough, he became part of the barkada and we all forgot there was a five year age gap between us.

When we still had our “Friday Night LFS Club”, he was the one who drove the van. And on the night me and Taps got puking-drunk at Tipsy’s, he was the one who drove me home, while I puked in a Filbar’s comic book bag. (Thankfully, I was able to remove the comic book before I started puking into it.)

During the years I was “freelancing” aka “the years I was trying to do Alamat stuff and wasn’t earning much”, Brandie was the one who got me writing gigs to go along with the photographs he took for magazines. I interviewed the babes. He took the pics. Thanks to Brandie, I got to meet and interview G. Toengi, Anjanette Abayari, and Lana Asanin.

After my dad died, Brandie was one who dragged me out of bed and made me type up my resume. We then drove to Makati, parked at Greenbelt, walked to several ad agencies, and dropped off our resumes.

I didn’t get any calls from those agencies, but Brandie got a call from McCann-Erickson, who told him there was an opening in their sister agency Harrison Communications. He didn’t get the job because they thought he was too young and that they didn’t have the time to train a young art director like him. And that’s when he decided to just go to the States and study at the Academy of Arts. A year later, he came home with a kick-ass portfolio and got in the adgency BBDO-Guerrero-Ortega, where he ended up winning a whole lot of awards. (He’s definitely won more creative awards that I have.)

Anyway, today is the birthday of Mr. Francis-Bernard Tan. So, you might want to go over to his phlog and greet him a happy new day!

Happy Birthday Brandie!


On a related note...
http://money.inq7.net/features/view_features.php?yyyy=2005&mon=04&dd=08&file=2

A TEAM of young Filipino creatives placed fourth in the recent Young Creative Competition during the Asia-Pacific Advertising Festival held in Thailand recently. The team, composed of Brandie Tan and Tin Sanchez of BBDO Guerrero Ortega, competed against 34 participants from 17 cities.

The brief was to find an idea to launch "Contagious," a new UK quarterly information magazine, in Cannes.
....
The BBDO Guerrero Ortega team was the second-place winner in the Philippine Creative Guild's Camp Young Creatives workshop held late last year where 17 advertising agencies participated. The teams were composed of junior art directors and copywriters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living