Skip to main content

The IRON MAN 2 debrief

This isn’t really a formal review. It’s just a collection of raves and rants about the movie. Therefore, this is going to have spoilers galore. If you haven’t seen it, then don’t read this.

And just to give you enough spoiler space, here's the theme song to the Iron Man cartoon just to give you enough time to go and watch the movie and come back.



Ok… moving right along…

What I liked about the movie…


The fight scene at the race track! What a great entrance by Whiplash. Loved that effect where his overalls just burned up to reveal his make-shift exoskeleton underneath. The way he handled those whips made me wonder if he sidelined as a lion-tamer while he was in Russia. And did that armor really provide him enough protection from being rammed by a car—twice!

The suitcase-armor! In the comic book, it was always funny that the briefcase only contained the helmet the gauntlets and the boots. So, it was great that they found a way to make that collapsing armor look believable.

Justin Hammer! Justin Hammer is so uncool he’s cool! The sales pitch for the weapons of War Machine. "If it were any smarter, it'd write a book. A book that would make 'Ulysses' look like it was written in crayon ... and it would read it to you! It's completely elegant, it's bafflingly beautiful, and it's capable of reducing the population of any standing structure to zero. I call it 'The Ex-Wife.'"(And I think at certain points of the movie, Sam Rockwell was channel Dana Carvey. Maybe ten years ago, Dana Carvey could’ve played Justine Hammer and Mike Meyers could’ve played Whiplash. No? Well, it was just a thought.)

Justin Hammer quote from : http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/05/10/iron-man-2-best-quotes/

The banter between Stark and Pepper Potts. “I want one!” “No.” (which reminded me of episodes of “Moonlighting” with Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard)



The banter between Stark and Rhodes. “Get a roof!”

The banter between Stark and Fury. (Okay, well, not so much. I just didn’t imagine Nick Fury to talk like Shaft. I thought he’d a man of few words like Mace Windu.)

I actually liked the Senate hearing scene, which some people found dragging.

The cameo appearance of John Slattery from Mad Men as Howard Stark. Great casting! So, I wonder if Sterling & Cooper did the ad campaign for the Stark Expo.

Scarlet Johansen. `Nuff said!

Agent Coulson! Aside from his deadpan acting, It was great to see him again because the last time I saw him I was playing Agent Casper in WEST WING (which, I think here in the Philippines, was seen by a grand total of five people).

Cap’s shield! That was Cap’s shield, right? Or was that a hub cap from one of Stark’s cars?

New Element! While Stark was creating the New Element, me and the guys started to speculate, “Is it vibranium or adamantium?” Knowing Stark he'd name it after himself! Something like "starkinium" or "tony-ium" or maybe even the "howardium".

What I didn’t like…
The first fight between War Machine and Iron Man: There was something off-kilter about it. In know it’s a great tribute to the usual “good guys must first fight before they figure out they’re on the same side” routine, but just felt like a big bar room brawl. And maybe the choice of music just didn’t seem to fit the battle.

The Black Widow scene: as much as I loved finally seeing the Black Widow in action, it just reminded me too much of Trinity’s fight scenes in The Matrix. I would’ve loved to see the Widow fight at least one of the drones just to show everyone that she can really kick-ass. It really wasn’t fair to just pit her against those rent-a-cops; because if you just gave Happy Hogan 15 more minutes I’m sure he would’ve be able to take out all those guards. (Okay, maybe he would’ve needed 25 more minutes.)

The Final Battle: as much as I liked how they set-up the Repulsor Ray power stunt in the earlier scene, I just wished that Iron Man and War Machine were more beaten up and trashed before they resorted to doing that power blast.

What the?!
It’s interesting that there were scenes in the trailer that were not used in the final cut of the movie. In the trailer, I like the scene in the cargo plan where Pepper kisses the Iron Man helmet, throw it out the plane and says, “Go get `em, boss.” Then Tony Stark jumps out and says, “You complete me.”



And what about these scenes?


I guess the DVD and Blu-Ray will have lots of bonus materials.

UPDATE: Finally! Some answers as to why those scenes were deleted! Thanks IO9!

A Guide To Iron Man 2's Deleted Scenes
http://io9.com/5535836/hot-from-the-forge-a-guide-to-iron-man-2s-deleted-scenes


And THE 4TH LETTER tells us of more scenes that were part of the IRON MAN 2 novelization, but didn't make it in the movie.
http://www.4thletter.net/2010/05/iron-man-2-the-deleted-scenes/


Thank you IMDB for the photos! :-)

Comments

The Raipo said…
Here's the things i liked about Iron man 2:

1.Daft Punk on the OST

2. Tony dancing in his metal 'birthday suit'

3. The suitcase emergency suit that made me realized that a live action Bubblegum Crisis movie isn't far behind.

4.Tony's cars

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living