Skip to main content

let people live in your heart

“What’s the most important thing this year?
TO BE HAPPY! We only have one life, so let’s really enjoy it. Ok?” –Mr. Kanamori


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armP8TfS9Is


"In the award-winning documentary Children Full of Life, a fourth-grade class in a primary school in Kanazawa, northwest of Tokyo, learn lessons about compassion from their homeroom teacher, Toshiro Kanamori. He instructs each to write their true inner feelings in a letter, and read it aloud in front of the class. By sharing their lives, the children begin to realize the importance of caring for their classmates."

I found the link to these videos via Jonathan Carroll’s Twitter. The documentary is 48 minutes long, divided into five parts, five episodes that focus certain students, talk about specific topics like empathy and death and bullying and teamwork. Hope you have the time to watch the entire film.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7S8HAfDzk&feature=player_embedded



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd7YWx7idfE&feature=player_embedded


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEW65OKRiAk&feature=player_embedded


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FGdXEBcdh4&feature=player_embedded


I watched the first one and felt this lump in my throat, but held it back. I watched the second video and the third and the fourth and the last part, and just got more teary-eyed with each episode.

I watched this film last night, after a very long day, after a series of meetings which were more difficult than usual.

And then I see these kids deal with being bullied, being unaccepted, deal with the death of loved ones and –yes, they cry a lot—but they bounced back up and find reason to laugh once again.

I am interested to find out what kind of men and women Mr. Kanamori’s students turn out to be. I wonder what kind of teachers did Mr. Kanamori have, for him to develop such a teaching style, for him to become such a nurturing person.

After watching the film, I tried to remember if I was so strong back when I was 10 years old. I think I was. I don’t remember was if I was so open with how I felt when I was so young.

I think I only learned to be more open with how I felt when I was in high school, when one of our teachers asked us to start keeping a journal for Homeroom Class (or was it English Class?) and I continued keeping a journal even after that school year. I think I became more open and learned to write down how felt about other people because we started writing palanca letters to the ones who attend retreats and Days with Lord.

I don’t remember if I had a teacher like Mr. Kanamori back in grade school. I think I had really great teachers who taught me the importance of studying well. I don’t think I had a teacher who reminded us that we must be happy, that we only have one life to live and we must live it well. I think I found more of those teachers in high school. We learned the most memorable lessons from the teachers and from them, carrying the fondest of memories from those wonder years.

In my write-up for the college year book, I placed a quote, which told the story of a fresh graduate, you climbed up the highest mountain with his diploma and yelled, “Watch out world! I’ve got my BA degree.”

“Sit down!” said the World. “I’ll teach you the rest of the alphabet.”

Class is still in session.

Let people live in your heart. …they tell their stories and everyone shares their feelings. When people really listen, they live in your heart forever” --Mr. Kanamori



“You come to school to be happy. Everyone must be happy. If one person is unhappy, everybody will be unhappy.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living