Skip to main content

Another Step Forward

PRINCE OF STORIES: THE MANY WORLDS OF NEIL GAIMAN by Hank Wagner, Christopher Golden, and Stephen R. Bissette, is a book that “chronicles, the history and impact of the complete works of Neil Gaiman in film, fiction, music, comics books and beyond.” (It even includes Gaiman’s blog entry about the marriage proposal that happened during the Subic Ad Congress. Yes, Jason and Maui, have gone beyond Google-famous. They are now part of literature!)

Aside from providing Gaiman fans with a checklist of almost every single thing he’s ever written, it contains one of the most comprehensive interviews with him. (Although THE SANDMAN COMPANION by Hy Bender provides the reader with the very detailed dissection of the series, the book did not go into as much detail about Gaiman’s life story.)

In PRINCE OF STORIES, you find out trivia, like how their family was originally named Chaiman or Haiman and when they moved to England, the spelling was changed to Gaeman, but was changed to Gaiman during the announcement of his grandparents’ wedding.

The 58-page interview charts the path that Gaiman took to become the writer that he is now.

At a certain point of his life, he decided to become a freelance journalist, so he could learn more about the world of publishing.

Being journalist, he got jobs like writing the biography of Duran Duran and was even offered by Penthouse to become their features editor.

The Duran Duran book paid good money, but the publisher was later sued and had to shut down. He said, it was good thing that publisher closed shop because he might have ended up writing more books like that.

He turned down the Penthouse, because even though it would’ve meant a regular paycheck, he would have been walking away from his real goal of becoming a writer.

When his daughter Holly asked him for advice about what career to pursue, Gaiman answered:

“I tried to explain to Holly, recently, because Holly is off in London right now. She wants to be in film, film production, and she gets offered jobs, and sometimes, she genuinely doesn’t know which job she should pursue. The only thing I can tell her is that I was in her position, wanting to write comics, and wanting to write fiction, now making a living as a freelance journalist. I say to her, look, I used to think it was a mountain, a thing I wanted to do, a thing I wanted to be, and as long as I was walking toward that mountain, it was okay. I told her she needs to figure out what her mountain is, and you can sort of judge these things by – does it take you away from the mountain?”

I’d like to think that in that past three years, I’ve slowly gotten back on course towards that mountain. I think my nine years in advertising, where I’ve had to learn how to tell stories in 30-seconds, has taught me to write better stories.

I look forward to writing more 30-second stories, 20-page mysteries and maybe I’ll even have time to write that 100-page graphic novel.


Where are you now?

Where are you heading?

Does it take you away from the mountain?

Comments

Unknown said…
That advice about the mountain is rather good, isn't it?
Unknown said…
very nice
Little Willow said…
Prince of Stories is comprehensive, informative, and beautiful! Researched, detailed, and beautifully illustrated. :)
A few people have called me stupid for refusing to do something that would take me away from my mountain. It's not THEIR mountain I want to go to, it's mine, so please,just leave me alone.
Reno said…
Ayos sigurong maging tatay si Gaiman, ano? O kahit tito man lang. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living