Skip to main content
Kookaburra

This was my very first TV commercial. It aired in 1999.



Even though I was credited as the writer of this material, I really just wrote one line here. (Back then, every time I saw the commercial on TV and heard that line said out loud, I felt so thrilled. “I wrote that! That’s my line!”) The entire script was actually written by my CD, Dadi Santos. The germ for the story came from a letter she received from her friend in Australia. The postage stamp was a kookaburra.

During the shoot, I was so excited to finally see and be part of a TV commercial. Then it got boring when I realized that a two second scene in a commercial entails several takes, which translates to several hours. It also made me realize how every little nuance is important since we only have 30-seconds to tell a story.

I remember walking around Megamall with my mom and we passed-by a Globe booth that was showing the commercial. She stopped and dragged me to the booth and we watched the TVC and she proudly told the sales ladies that I made that commercials. The sales ladies looked impressed and I looked very embarrassed.

This month marks my 9th year in Harrison Communications. How appropriate that I attended my first Globe briefing today, after a year of not handling the Globe account.

“The more things change, the more they stay the same.”


Welcome to Year 9!

Comments

Camille said…
Hahaha. I remember this commercial. I loved it, I remember you telling me that it actually happened to you. You leaving your homework at home. Musta? Mishu.

Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...