Skip to main content
THE ISLAND OF DR. ELLIS

I was in FULLY BOOKED last week and wasn’t really planning to buy anything (yeah … right!) when I picked up Warren Ellis’ STRANGE KILLINGS: NECROMANCER. Even though I’ve been a big Ellis fan ever since his Stormwatch run, I haven’t really bought every single thing he’s written.

So, I flipped to the back of the book and read the blurb:

Finally, all six issues of the zombie epic Necromancer collected into one volume! Warren Ellis’ cult hit STRANGE KILLINGS is back with “combat magician” William Gravel’s most gut-wrenching mission yet! Deployed to a steaming Philippine island, Gravel’s assignment is to assassinate an investigative reporter about to expose a chemical weapon lab sanctioned by the British government.

A Warren Ellis character in the Philippines? Well, I just had to read how he portrayed our “steaming islands”.

As mentioned in the blurb, William Gravel is a “combat magician”. Gravel is what you get when you combine the Punisher and John Constantine. He fights dirty and (worse of his opponents) he fights with magic. Gravel can become invisible, teleport to a place called the Body Orchard where he keeps enough weapons for an army, and can easily cast a spell that blasts zombies into a liquid, pink slush. (YUM!)

The whole “Philippine tour” was only seen in the first couple of pages when Gravel walked/teleported to the Hundred Islands. He rode a jeepney which had “Captain Pinoy” and “Fanta” painted on the side, and learned how to say “pare ko”. The British biochemist conducting the experiment was shown drinking a bottle of San Miguel Beer and sacrificed a girl named Kori to the zombies.

I was wondering who Ellis had to consult for those little details about the Philippines. Thanks to Google, I found out that Mike Wolfer, the artist of the book, attended high school at Clark Air Base in the Philippines.

I also found an interview in Comics Bulletin when Wolfer talked about why they thought the Philippines would make for a great setting for Gravel’s mission.

Tim O’Shea: The upcoming Strange Killings: Necromancer is set in the Philippines, a setting with which you're quite well-versed in, having once lived there. What are the benefits/appeal to setting the tale in the Philippines?

Mike Wolfer: With the exception of the Borneo flashback sequence in The Body Orchard, William Gravel's adventures so far have all been in urban environments, so it's fun to see him down and dirty in jungle survival mode. As you mentioned, I spent several years in the Philippines and one thing that struck me about the region was that it was breathtakingly beautiful, yet as you stand on the beach looking into the jungle taking in the sounds and the smells, you realize just how much you don't belong there. Anything could be waiting for you in there and you'd never know it or expect it. This "green hell" backdrop is the perfect enhancement for Necromancer, since we're exploring the most primal conditions of the human experience: life, death, love and sex. William Gravel's in for one hell of a time.

So, if you want to see what happens when you drop Rambo in the middle of the jungle with the entire cast of “Night of the Living Dead”, then pick up STRANGE KILLINGS: NECROMANCER.

Warren Ellis’ STRANGE KILLINGS: NECROMANCER (Sixth in Series) Cover: Mike Wolfer / Story: Warren Ellis / Script Assist & Art: Mike Wolfer / Readership: Mature Readers / Format: B&W, 144 pages, square bound

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living