Skip to main content
What am I thinking of right now?

Couple of months ago, Arjun showed me this site called TWITTERVISION, where you see a map of the world and every couple of sections a word balloon would pop up on some part of the map and it would be someone leaving a note on this big world map about what they were doing in their part of the world.

At that time, Arjun thought that would make for a nice execution for a TV commercial. (Has anyone done anything like that lately?)

Anyway, I later found out that the foundation of Twittervision was the site / service called Twitter. I eventually got an invitation get a Twitter account, which I did and got excited by the feature that let me text in my “blog entry” or my whatever it was I was Twittering about. It also allowed me to receive (via text) the Twittering of other people.

So, ever now and again I would get a text/Twitter from the people I’m linked up with and I’d get to know little things happening in their day. They’d Twitter about where they were, what they were eating, how their meeting went, and if they were already going home. (I was using to it to pimp my blog and comic book.)

I really wasn’t sure I needed to know all those things about my friends, so I switched off the text function.

Then I got to read this article in WIRED:
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/15-07/st_thompson

And he said, Twitter was like “social ESP”. The more technical term he used was “proprioception.”

It's like proprioception, your body's ability to know where your limbs are. That subliminal sense of orientation is crucial for coordination: It keeps you from accidentally bumping into objects, and it makes possible amazing feats of balance and dexterity.

Twitter and other constant-contact media create social proprioception. They give a group of people a sense of itself, making possible weird, fascinating feats of coordination.

For example, when I meet Misha for lunch after not having seen her for a month, I already know the wireframe outline of her life: She was nervous about last week's big presentation, got stuck in a rare spring snowstorm, and became addicted to salt bagels. With Dodgeball, I never actually race out to meet a friend when they report their nearby location; I just note it as something to talk about the next time we meet.

The funny thing was, way before Twitter, me and the guys were already talking about how blogging can affect meeting people face to face later on.

With people blogging about their lives so much, conversations might eventually become something like this:

BUDJ: Hey, I got a the latest copy of…

MARK: X-Men! Yeah, I read it your blog.

(silence)

MARK: Did I already show you…

BUDJ: The pictures from your vacation? Saw it in your blog.

(silence)

BUDJ: So… now what?

So, now it gets worse with Twitter.

One Pinoy blogger (and I’m sorry I can’t find your link again) did point out that if you create a Twitter account and just link up with, for example, everyone in your barkada, you could then use Twitter as a cheap way of sending out a text blast to them.

Mark’s been thinking (via Twitter) why the Pinoy (who supposedly resides in the Text Capital of the World) didn’t think of this wonderful idea in the first place.

I think there were attempts in the past.

A long time ago, PinoyExchange allowed people to text in their messages, but the problem was all the messages ended up on just one page. It wasn’t personalized. It just became one massive message thread that was filled with all sorts of topics.

Recently, comic book newsblogs found a great use for Twitter when the whole of geekdom attended the San Diego Comic-Con. Some of them were reporting/Twittering from the convention floor.

Just a matter of time before people figure out what else they can do with it.

So, if you want to know what I had for lunch (for some weird reason), then follow me at Twitter: http://twitter.com/Budjette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living