Skip to main content
While at the urinal, my thoughts drifted to Leonard Nimoy in a turtleneck sweater


(What follows is my attempt to track down how my brained hyperlinked “taking a piss” to “Leonard Nimoy”.)

So, there I was, standing at the urinal and while I was doing my business, I looked down and noticed a piece of paper in my breast pocket.

That paper contained the number of the people who manage my apartment.

I got that number because I was supposed to give it to Ms. Chin, the lady who sells prepaid load (because she’s looking for a new place).

And I thought about how some names sound better if they were preceded by a “Mrs” rather than a “Ms”; like Mrs. Peel from THE AVENGERS. Which made me wonder if there was ever a Mr. Peel and if he was ever introduced in the show.

The image of Mr. Steed and Mrs. Peel flashed in my head. That visual then quickly became the image of another couple from another TV show that was produced in the 60s/70s.

In my head, I could see Leonard Nimoy in a turtleneck sweater and brown jacket and he was with some woman. When I was in grade school, I used to watch Channel 13 in the afternoons and they used to show the same movies over and over again. One of those movies starred Leonard Nimoy as a psychic detective.

A psychic detective! Which is where I probably got the idea for BLASCO: PSYCHIC DETECTIVE, a story I sent to the ABS-CBN script writing contest (and I obviously didn’t win).

So, I Googled: LEONARD NIMOY PSYCHIC DETECTIVE and found out the title of the movie was “Baffled!” and it was a failed pilot for a TV series. Google also pointed out that Nimoy was the host and voice behind the show “In Search Of…”; which had a special episode about (everybody!) PSYCHIC DETECTIVES!

All of which made me realize how those shows somehow now factor into the writing of TRESE.

What’s the point of this entry?

I don’t know.

I’m sorry if you just wasted five minutes of your life because you got suckered into reading my babbling. I can’t give you those five minutes back. At least you’ve learned another piece of useless trivia which you might be able to use to win a bet one of these days.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go to the men’s room.

(And in case you're wondering how bad BAFFLED! was, here are the opening credits. You just gotta love that soundtrack!)

Comments

Cynthia said…
this pretty much explains why he never had a career after playing Spock. kinda like ron perlman and Beast.

Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...