Skip to main content
I got tagged by Wella. Since it was Wella’s first blog post (and I’m really proud that she’s started blogging) I must now tell you: 7 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME

1. I was a magician.
Well, I was an amateur magician. A very, very amateur magician. I was a big fan of David Copperfield. I used to record his TV specials, which were re-run on Channel 9 over and over again. When the local channels stopped airing his specials, my uncle in Boston would record it for me and would me packages with that video tape as well as magic books and magic tricks. So, I got as far as learn one rubber band trick and transforming a P500 bill into a P5 bill (yes, there was once a P5 bill). I also learned one routine using the Chinese Linking Rings. If you ask me to do a magic trick now, I’d probably mess it up and just make your P500 bill disappear by buying a bunch of comic books.

2. I was a ninja.
Well, I was an amateur ninja. A very, very amateur ninja. Okay, I was a very horrible ninja. I maybe the only ninja that was afraid of the dark. So, it was very, very difficult to sneak up on someone in broad daylight.

I now can’t remember why I got into the whole ninja craze. I mean, this was way before Teen-age Mutant Ninja Turtles became famous. I think it was combination of reading Snake-eyes and Stormshadow in the G.I.JOE comic book and watching a whole lot of “American Ninja” and Lee Van Cleef’s “The Master” TV series. So, I asked my dad to buy me books about ninja and martial arts and one of the titles he got me was a “The Ninja Guide Book: How to be a Ninja in 9 Deadly Steps” (Okay, I made that title up. It was something like that).

Way back in Grade 6, me and my friends followed the lessons of that book. I even had my mom get me a ninja costume. (It was an all-black jumpsuit that made me look like a mummy that fell in the vat of India ink.) One of my friends, Gary Magpoc, had a metal shop in the back of his house. He used some scrap metal to make a shuriken. We went to his house and took turns practicing how to throw the shuriken and that banana tree was so sorry it ever met us that afternoon. When it was Alan Campo’s turn, he threw the shuriken so hard it missed the banana tree and ended up at the neighbor’s house. That brought it our ninja training to an end because Gary only made one shuriken.

3. I was an angel.
To be more specific, I was a Moonbeam Angel (which sounds like the name of some hippie heavenly body). Anyway, back in grade school, my school decided to stage a play called “Five Star Angel”. I auditioned for it and didn’t get in. The first round of audition involved grouping all the kids and making them come up with a play on the spot. So, not only did you have to prove that you can sing and dance and act, you also had to know how to write and direct a mini-play-- all under 10 minutes. So, I decide to stage the story who the ninja who saved General MacArthur’s life and that’s why MacArthur was able to return to the Philippines. (Yes, there was an American ninja who saved the general’s life, but it was all kept secret because no one would ever believe it if it was ever put in the history books.)

Needless to say, the teachers had no idea what the heck was happening on stage. It just involved a lot of kids attempting to do flying kicks and some guy saying, “I shall return!”

Anyway, I didn’t get chosen to be part of the cast.

Then, after some PTA meeting, my mom suddenly got voted to be producer of the play. The very next day, I got called back to audition again. I don’t remember what kind of talent I showed but I got in the play and was given the very important role of the Moonbeam Angel. I think I had a grand total of five lines. I had lines like, “But where will we go?”, “How will we get there?”, and “Oh, thank you!” (And I can’t remember my other two lines.)

I had to wear an all-white bodysuit and a headdress that looked and weighed like a Christmas parol. I’m just thankful that the video copy of that play, which was recorded on Betamax, has now become completely covered with molds and cannot be viewed in any way possible.

INTERMISSION: So, sorry. This has become a long trip down memory lane for me. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of you already clicked to the next blog or website. Anyway, we’re near the half-way point. I’ll try to make this short as possible.

4. I am currently 210 lbs.

5. The first movie that made me cry was BENJY. For the benefit of people who’ve never seen or heard of “Benjy” (like Wella), it was a movie about a dog (somewhat like those Lassie movies) and I thought really he died in that story and that’s why I cried. Benjy was a good dog!

6. Back in grade school, I used this hair cream so I that I could properly comb my hair and that every strand of hair would be in place for the rest of the day (and made me look like I was wearing a helmet). What was the hair cream? WELLA FORM! These days, I don’t have much hair that would find any use for any cream whatsoever.

7. Wella’s my first girlfriend and I love her.


(And I tag anyone who wants to get tagged by this.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living