Skip to main content
I've posted this TVC before, but it was recently review in Business World. It's not everyday we get a glowing review like this, so... here you go. :)

Subtlety in communication
ADS AND ENDS
NANETTE A. FRANCO-DIYCO

BUSINESS WORLD, Vol. XX, No. 134, Friday-Saturday, February 2-3, 2007
http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020207/main.php?id=marketing_diyco




I must salute Harrison Communication for the totally different look and feel of BPI in its 30-second television commercial launched during the holidays. It adopted a market leader stance that could not have flown high without the heritage and the confidence of a bank like BPI.

The first time I caught the commercial, I mistook it for a teaser ad. I thought it was a commercial that deliberately left the viewer hungering for more facts. Ergo, I concluded that there must be a sequel to it, the major material scheduled for launch perhaps after a week or two. This was the role of a teaser ad: It is meant to titillate the viewer and capture his attention, preparing him for the big salvo.

Arguably, the launch media weights for the BPI TV commercial were relatively heavy — too heavy for a teaser ad. It was at this point that I realized that this was actually it: the full-blown TV commercial, an institutional advertising campaign that was "communicating BPI’s fresh and distinct positioning". I sat down with Harrison creative director Budjette Tan who labeled the commercial as Teeny Gonzales’ magnum opus before joining a rival ad agency. Nice leaving behind a present for Harrison Communication.

Budjette revealed that this 30-second material spelled the launch of BPI’s new corporate theme, "We’ll take you farther." The approach was also farthest from the mostly hard-sell tactical commercials of BPI in the past. I liked the subtlety it employed — subtlety that conjured an unspoken elegance that was distinctly reminiscent of "the old rich" using present-day images. Director Stephen Ngo matched the agency’s strong concept with unique and powerful visuals.

The supers flowed flawlessly.

"Stop talking about the future.

Stop studying possibilities.

Stop exploring all options.

Stop weighing the odds.

Stop waiting for the perfect time.

Stop wishing.

Let’s begin.

BPI. We’ll take you farther."

These supers struck a major chord in my being. How often have we dawdled over financial decisions and movements? The commercial spelled our frequent lack of courage in asset management or even private banking. Budjette shared his team’s analysis "that many of us frequently tend to be rich in faith but still sorely lacking in action. We have a tendency to simply remain contented with the status quo, gripped by some fear or another that it would be much safer to just wait for things to develop."

And so, we are oftentimes frozen into inaction. Stop all of these, BPI beckons, as it gives you its invaluable assurance that it will indeed take you farther.

Director Stephen Ngo revealed that he had found that interesting building in Intramuros from where the production crew threw out of its 6th floor window pieces of paper. This trumpeted the message, "Stop studying possibilities." "The key which I used for the commercial is finding beauty in a normal place. The key was proper angling and framing." This was how Director Stephen simply described his technique for this commercial production.

No human being is shown in the entire commercial, making you focus your attention completely on the unspoken message. I, the viewer, am the invisible woman in the BPI commercial.

I am the one taking cup after cup of black coffee ironing out my thoughts, talking endlessly with my colleague behind that executive table. I’m the one driving around in my car as I presumably explore all options. I’m the one trashing every piece of paper on my desk and out the window, disgusted with the possibilities I have come up with in my never-ending quest for the perfect formulae.

And suddenly, there ensues from within you that feeling of trust. It’s the magic moment and you imbibe exactly the point of the commercial. Trust in BPI is what I’m proclaiming — it will help you arrive at those decisions. It will indeed take you farther.

Great partnering between the creative agency and the production house, no doubt inspired by a client who’s courageous enough to give its creative partners enough creative freedom to do their thing.

Credits: Client-company, BPI. Advertising agency, Harrison Communication. Teeny Gonzales, executive creative director; Budjette Tan, creative director. Writers: Teeny Gonzales, Budjette Tan, Reinard Santos, Biba Cabuquit. Art directors: Reinard Santos, Argem Vinuya, Erwin Trivino. Accounts: Manny Martinez, Madel Palman, Abby Nicolas. Producers: Chona Bustamante, Cris DyLiaco, Netnet Valencia. Production house, Unitel Productions: Stephen Ngo, director; Rody Lacap, director of photography; Ien Pacoma, production design; Franny Omampo, line producer.

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living