Skip to main content
MAKING MAGIC

Hello Kids!

Just wanted to take you behind the scenes on the making of one of our recent TV Commercials was made. The brand is URC's MAGIC CREAMS. We were tasked to communicate to tweens this particular Jack `N Jill snack.

One of the insights we had about tweens is that, being in that in-between age, they want to already show the world they're ready for bigger things. They want to be treated like adults, but still want to have fun. They want to do grown-up things, but still don't have that teen-age angst.

So, we came up different storylines that followed this insight. We showed our boss several ideas, which got cut down to three ideas, which we still had to revised based on new ways on how to make the stories funnier or more interesting.

We had a story of a 10-year old kid trying to impress an 18-year old girl.

We also had this story of a boy and girl who always met online in a Ragnarok-type game.

Then, there was this one story which was inspired by the Two Chinese Dormitory Boys.
We thought that was definitely something kids would do. They looked up to their idols, their rock stars, and boybands and would try to act like them. So, the third story we presented to client was called "LIPSYNCH" and that's what they liked.

THE AGENCY BOARD
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


When we presented the TVC board, we originally wanted to use a song of another American singing group, but was going to cost us over P500,000 just to get the rights for the song. So, we had to find another song.

After going through dozens of possible songs, we found this classic POT song and thought it made for a perfect fit for our little story.


THE DIRECTOR'S BOARD

The board was then given to the director, his job to make the storyboard come to life. That sometime's meant changing the story a bit, telling it from a different point of view, cutting down on certain scenes and adding some new ones.






THE TVC



Seven years ago, during my job interview, one of the writers asked me, "Are you ready for other people to mess around with your work? Are you ready to have your work inspected, dissected, criticized and scrutinized? What was once a nice, clean piece of work will be handed back to you and it'll be an unrecognizeable mush. It'll then be handed back to you and you're supposed to fix it and make it better. And you'll have less than a day to do that. If you're ready for that, then you're ready to join an ad agency?"

I thought I could handle that. I thought I could mentally prepare myself for such things. There projects when I thought I could never recover, but I did. It isn't always easy, but it is fun for the most part. And whenever I get the chance to do nice stories like "LIPSYNCH", it makes it all worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living