Skip to main content
FWD EMAIL FROM ROACH >>>

The science-fiction author Ray Bradbury celebrated his 83rd birthday with this wish: One night, 100 years from now, a youngster will stay up late reading The Martian Chronicles with a flashlight under his blanket -- on the Red Planet. "That's the dream I have and that's the reason I'm here," the author of the 1950 classic said during a birthday party organized by the planetary society.

The space exploration advocacy group presented Brandbury with a mammoth birthday card printed with messages from 4,000 fans. The actress Angie Dickinson gave him a kiss, and the director Peter Hyams, whose movie version of Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder" is due in April, called him a "national treasure."

++++++++

Just came back from Bizu, Greenbelt. Outside the restaurant, the Philippine Astronomical Society set-up two telescopes for people to see Mars. We got in line and finally saw... this white dot that looked like the moon. The astronomer said it's because Mars is so close that it's reflecting more light from the Sun and that's why it's white, instead of red.

While lining up, we were thinking of ways to cash in on Mars' visit. An event could have been held in the abandoned building of Mars disco. Globe could have offered Mars MMS downloads or an "Invaders from Mars" JAVA game. Guess Mars isn't so hot and that's why no party-preneur took advantage of its arrival.

Talking about the god of war... don't you think there was an increase in violence, attacks, bombings around the war as Mars got closer?

Hmmm...

Anyway, going back to Ray Bradbury, I remember that used to watch THE RAY BRADBURY MYSTERY THEATER. The opening credits of that TV show happens in Bradbury's writing room. You'd see the camera pan across the shelves full of books and other trinkets. As the camera finally finds Bradbury at his typwriter, you'd hear Bradbury's voice talking about how every object in that room holds a story just waiting to be written. That's what gave me the bright idea to fill my room with all sorts of crazy stuff... in hopes that I'd eventually write a whole lot of stories like Bradbury.

So far I've only written two sci-fi stories, one of which didn't really get good reviews from my friends.

The other story, I'm happy to say, has been included in FAST FOOD FICTION, an anthology of shorts that all average 500 words. It's edited by Noelle Q. de Jesus and published by Anvil. It will be launched on September 6 at Figaro, Emerald Avenue. Unfortnately, I'll be out-of-the-country during the launch. (Hope the save me a copy of the book.)

I am nowhere close to the volume of work that Bradbury has done. Time to go back to work.




Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living