Skip to main content



THE END... FOR NOW

Presented the SAD STORY(Version Oh-I-Already-Lost-Count) last Thursday and it got the REALLY REJECTED stamp. Even if it was Mother One who presented the storyboards, it wasn’t enough to convince client to go for the story. They said, it’s not the type of story they’d want to do.

I’ll just die if competition comes up with a story similar to mine.

This reminds me of how the whole team was back in the office the day after EDSA DOS and we came up with over a dozen ads to commemorate that peaceful revolution and how text messaging connected a whole nation (or at least, the several million who had cellphones in the city). But client didn’t want to run a single ad because of possible political repercussions.

A week or so later, the competition came out with their EDSA DOS ad, which got an award for best print that same year.

So, now we’re back to a similar situation. Client doesn’t want to produce this story. They admit that it’s a realistic story but they just don’t want their brand to be associated with such a situation. That’s not what their brand is all about.

Competition recently came out with their own “sad story”, which felt more like a guilt trip to me. So, I don’t know if it works. Don’t know if it connects to people.

We actually tested my story. Showed it to a dozen people, all cellphone users. They all thought it was too sad. That it’s just all too real. That it happened to their friend or a friend of a friend. But they didn’t like it because it left them with this heavy feeling.

If that’s the case, then I guess the story worked. I don’t think I wanted anyone to feel “great and wonderful” after seeing that story.

In Sandman #75, Will Shakespeare said, “My heart was broken by my dark lady, and I wept, in my room, alone; but while I wept, somewhere inside I smiled. For I knew I could take my broken heart and place it on the stage of the Globe, and make the pit cry tears of their own.”

And I guess that’s what wanted to do. I wanted to “make the pit cry tears of their own.” (And isn’t it interesting that Shakespeare staged his plays in a theater called The Globe?) But maybe this Globe isn’t my stage. Maybe I’m not meant to use it as my personal canvass. But it would have been great, because it would have most definitely meant that she should have seen it… seen my story… and, maybe, finally, make her cry as much as I cried for her.

(Ah… the truth comes out, you say.)

So, maybe it was off-strat / off-strategy. There is nothing great (or amazing) with such a sad story. I thought the great thing made possible was that he was able to get that thorn out of his side and he finally ended that which that gave him so much pain. I thought that was it. I thought it would work.

Maybe the universe didn’t want this story to be told, because it would reopen old wounds.

Or maybe the timing just isn’t right.

The idea to talk about things “made possible by Globe” was something that got shelved, because there was a change in the direction of the strategy. A year later, I found it while deleting files in my computer and it became the germ of the idea that became a whole new campaign.

The Shiloah-Valentine’s Day ad was another ad that got shelved because we already had several print ads at the time and didn’t need that one. Almost a year later, client asked for a V-Day ad and we dug that out that ad, gave it a new look, and it got approved.

So, for now, this story goes to the bottom drawer, where it will ferment… marinate… and when the time is right we’ll figure out how to make it work.

Or it could go into some other story… maybe in a comic book. I don’t know.

There are other ads to be done.

Another promo to promote.

Next ad, please.





Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...