Skip to main content
Didn’t get blog yesterday. The hysteria here at the office reached an all time high. Well, maybe not, but it sure felt like it.

The project I worked on last week, that ate my Friday evening and Saturday afternoon was “de-prioritized” Monday morning. I just love it when that happens. And it happens all too often.

Friday night… after I finally got out of work. Met up with office mates at Segafredo. As usual, it was a regular Ad Congress that night. People from different agencies were there getting drunk or sobering up.

One of my office mates, Icel, read my palm and gave me a very interesting reading. She said that there was a time three girls liked me and I didn’t know it. Had I know that they liked me at that time then I might done something about it. Why don’t I get a memo about these things? They could’ve at least texted me about it. As usual, I’m the last to find out.

Well, there is supposed this other girl and that something may come out of it if I do something about it. The question is, which girl? All she said is that I already know this girl. I wonder if I should start texting every girl in my phone book. (Then they’d all think I was psycho.)

Icel also mentioned that it seems like I’ll be staying in the ad agency for a very long time. She’s the second palm reader to mention that. For some strange reason, even though I obsess over comic book making, it doesn’t seem to make a blip in my future. Then again, these so-called predictions can be changed anyway. What’s the point of getting a preview of things to come if you can’t do anything about it.

RELAXATION AREA
As usual, went to Area 51 to play Warcraft 3 with the guys. As we were leaving Segafredo, Grace asked, “Are you going to play your games again?” To which I replied, “We’re not going to play. WE’RE GOING TO WAR!” The pretty girl who’s a friend of a friend of Grace laughed. She probably thinks I’m psycho too.

At Area 51, we tried out a new game called Battlefield 1942. A first person shooter game set in that time period. The first time I ever tried a game like that was Duke Nuke `Em and that game made me dizzy and gave me a head ache. Battlefield 1942 gave me the same effect. But it was a nice game to play. Felt like we were the Band of Brothers. (More like the Three Stooges Goes to War.)

While we were there, there was a barkada of 12-year old kids who were playing the STAR WARS game. They were all playing light saber wielding Jedi, running through some hi-tech facility, fighting Sith Lords. Which made me realize how lucky kids are today. Back in my day, Atari’s STAR WARS game showed this crooked line on screen and that was supposed to represent your light saber. You controlled it with this knob-like device call The Paddle. A ball would pop-up onscreen and fire laser beams at you and you were supposed to deflect it. That’s what we considered exciting back then.

GETTING MY FIX
I was really excited to get BATMAN #608 because I’m such a Jim Lee fan boy. Well, maybe not as much as a fanboy when I was in college. I even tried to collect his DIVINE RIGHT, but after three issues I just gave up on it. Story was not very interesting. I have a feeling I’ll only last three issues with his BATMAN.

Even though Jeph Loeb wrote the story, it didn’t come out as interesting as his LONG HALLOWEEN stories. They made Batman a “super-hero” again, complete with wearing his jocks on the outside of his pants. They also made Batman a gadget freak with his infrared lenses and grappling guns and sonic disruptor chips. I wonder if they consider this a cool thing to show since kids are supposed to be reading this comic book.

So, I’ll stick around for the next three or so issues and hope it improves. At least Jim Lee still knows how to draw very sexy women.

saving the world (G)
I was also able to get Warren Ellis' GLOBAL FREQUENCY and that gave me a rush that I didn't get from BATMAN.

There are a thousand and one people on the Global Frequency. A worldwide independent defense intelligence organisation with a thousand and one agents, all over the world. Anyone you know might be with them. It's the world's little open secret. You could be sitting there watching the news and suddenly hear an unusual cellphone tone, and within moments you might see your neighbour leaving the house in a hurry, wearing a jacket or a shirt with the distinctive Global Frequency symbol. Anyone could be on the Global Frequency, and you'd never know until they got the call from Aleph, central dispatcher for the Global Frequency, getting her orders from Miranda Zero, creator and operator of the organisation.

Their cellphones look like a sleeker version of the Nokia 7650 with a wider screen. In the first issue, they actually assembled and coordinated their team all through the cellphone and were able to stop the detonation of a nuclear bomb in San Francisco.

Talking about making great things possible.

ANOTHER KIND OF FIX
Went to the launch of CHEMICAL magazine at Eastwood. Don’t know when it will distributed, but it’s only P50.00 and has a good mix of articles and reviews about… well, it seems to try and cover everything under the smiling-pop-culture-sun. Although, it doesn’t have is a section about comic books and graphic novels.
Maybe next issue.

HANNIBAL: YEAR ONE
Got to watch RED DRAGON. I liked it. It would be interesting if they could make a fourth movie and have Will Graham and Clarice Starling team-up to hunt down Hannibal Lecter.

Hannibal and Dolarhyde aka Red Dragon reminded me of the inmates of Arkham Asylum. Maybe the next BATMAN movie can be more of a psychological/detective /serial killer story rather than a superhero movie. Of course, that might give it an R-rating and not bring in the big bucks of kids dragging their parents to the movie theater.

AL-YAS
Got to see ALIAS on ABS-CBN last night.
It was translated into Tagalog!
It’s just wrong.

CLICKTY-CLICK
Some sites you might want to see:

The Dynatica Message Board: if you're looking for another place to talk about comic books, anime, and other stuff. My interview is in there somewhere. Including preview pages of Jason's TXTMEN.

HOMANGA: "alternative manga for the poor otaku"

DILIMAN: weird stuff from the mind and pen of Tobie Abad.











Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living