Skip to main content


And All Things Nice
by Budjette G. Tan



Manila, 2072 A.D.

She never really bothered to find out what her father did for a living. All that mattered was that her dad uploaded her allowance to her cred-chip every week and that she was allowed to use the grav-car on Friday nights. She’d leave little holo-notes to her dad, being the sweet daughter that she is, to remind her dad that she loves him and that she needed some extra creds for the sale at the Ayala-Infinity-Mall.

She never knew that father was one of the most important men working for the Hexagon BioCorporation, that her father was known as The Smith in certain circles, labeled the WeaponSmith under classified files, and was called the Blacksmith by his enemies.

So, it was quite a shock to her (and embarrassing) when her cred-chip was denied at the club due to insufficient funds. How could her dad forget to reload her account? That night, she went home to their unit, on the 171st floor of the Rockwell complex, and discovered that it had been ransacked. What wasn’t found was the holo-note that was only activated by her vocal patterns.

“My dearest daughter, if you are viewing this note, then something terrible has happened to me…” announced her father’s holographic image. “Listen careful, and following everything that I say…”

Her father started to babble about Project: Bird of Prey and nanomachines enhancing people on a cellular level, about artificial adrenaline-surges and mimetic alloys, about a secret place and the device that can only be activated by her.

The only thing she understood was about their “secret place”— the dollhouse she got her seventh birthday. She ran to her room and opened up the dollhouse. She cried for her dad to tell her what to do next, but no holo-note switched on. She then noticed a pendant in the miniature bedroom, a trinket that shouldn’t be there. It was warm to the touch and shined like mercury. She stared at it and tried to look for an answer to her father’s riddle.

An explosion suddenly blasted her across the room. The wall of her room was now gaping hole. Soldiers wearing hover-packs flew in, armed with laser rifles. Before she could recover, one of the men grabbed her by the arm.

Having no other place to hide the pendant, she swallowed it.

The commanding officer of the attack squad approached her and asked for the password to her father’s computer. She was too frightened to answered.

The officer shot her in the leg. She fell down to the floor. The officer grabbed hold of her chin and lifted up her face, “Be a good girl, Narda. Tell me the password!”

And she yelled it out loud, “Adarna!”

An explosion suddenly blasted the soldiers across-- and outside the room!

In the middle of the room stood Narda, now clad in a shiny red armor; confused, hurt, and feeling power and anger build up inside her… ready to explode once more because that bastard officer just broke her nail.

end

This story was written as a submission to an anthology of short fiction (500 words or less). No confirmation if it will be included, but the book is supposed to be made available sometime next year.


Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living