Skip to main content



I went home to get my car.
Now, I’m back at the office.
While at home, I got to watch Oprah.
The episode was a compilation of quotes / interviews of the different authors she featured in her Book Of the Month Club.

The authors talked about what inspired them, how they worked, and what they felt whenever they finished a book. Most of them said that they ended up crying as they sent the manuscript to their publisher. One of them said it was like the end of a bad relationship. Another one said, it was like saying goodbye to very good friends. While another said, that after she finishes a book, the characters never really go away, that they linger around and stay with you for a while.

Oprah has a special segment for authors who were also mothers and they talked about how they had to find a way to keep writing while fulfilling their role as mother, how they learned to work either early in the morning or late at night, or how they just had to write during the in-between hours while their kids and husbands were away.

One of the authors quotes some statistic that supposedly said there are several hundred thousand published authors in the United States and that only 200 of them actually make a living out of writing. Which means, for thousands of authors out there, they have to keep a job or two so they can afford to keep writing.

And I think every author interviewed said that they wouldn’t know what else to do aside from write. One said that her soul would just shrivel up if she couldn’t write anymore. Another one said that she would probably keep on writing even if she never gets another story published, that she would just keep on writing for herself—for her characters.

Through out the show, I just kept nodding my head in approval, because in a certain way I understood what they were talking about, and at the same time I felt this pain inside of me, because I envied their passion for writing and their stories of how it felt to write the last chapter of a book and type “The End”.

I’m back at work because I need to come up with a name for this new product that’s supposed to change you life… well, not really, but the it’s supposed to make you feel that way. I’m back at work because I need to write a script that will make you feel like you need to have a cellphone… but you don’t really need it.

I’m back at work… when I’d rather be writing my stories.





Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living