Skip to main content


MARCH 27, 2002 WEDNESDAY 4:42pm

Still at the office.
My email is down.
At least PinoyExchange is online again.
I realized last night that I spend too much online doing nothing.
Well, I check what’s new with comic books, go to my usual favorite blogs, then head off to the message boards. Well, now there’s cc:Café Creatives which Brandie and I plan to promote, maybe after the Holy Week. Nice to see that people have been coming and posting. Most of them just lurk around, according to the visitor’s log. Nothing like a controversy to get people going to you site or message board. Look at what happened with Gerry’s site. After he put up that article, his message board got so busy and crazy he had to move it to Delphi. Not that I plan to put anything controversial in Cafe Creatives, but knowing this industry, I'm sure something will come up.

Well, the next couple of days will be a bit of rest.
Forced into reflection as we do our usual Holy Week routine of attend all the masses and services.

Last week, I got a break from the usual fare when I met up with the guys last Friday. Met up with the Brigade Boys… I guess that’s the quickest way to describe them. They’re not really the Alamat guys… they’re the guys who I used to hang-out with in Cyber Café… but not anymore. I rarely see the guys who supposedly comprise of Alamat these days. They’re usually in Comic Quest and these days, because of work, it sometimes takes me week before I get to go there and when I do go there, they’re usually not there.

So, anyway, I was with the Brigade Boys and Dang started to rant that didn’t blog about his wedding. Which goes to show how crazy work has been. I haven’t been able to write in my journal as well. Anyway, to fulfill my blog's only fanboy…

Dang and Doris had a wonderful wedding! It was fantastic! We were afraid Bow would make a fool of himself when he gave his best man speech… and he did. But he looked like a good fool. Everyone thought he was drunk, but that didn’t really matter because everyone laughed in all the right places.

It was also interesting to see the German Boys at work. Which makes me wonder if there’s some German manual on how to host a show or how to entertain guests, because they were all saying the variations of the same jokes, delivered in the same manner. It was amazing! It was funny! It was the Germans!

Big surprise of the evening was hearing Doris sing. We told her that if she ever decided to leave the corporate world, we’d be her managers and Mark would get her in the ABS-CBN talent pool and have her do medleys in ASAP with whoever is promoting an album or movie that week.

And despite the fact that it was a wedding, reception, outfits, and all, it didn’t feel like a wedding. It felt like the TAGG boys just had a very big get together. And I wondered what Rog would have had to say about every thing. I suspect he would have been the most sentimental of the bunch. Then again, who knows, he might have gotten married way before Dang. Who knows, indeed?

Anyway… going back to that Friday night.
We met up with them at Jade Palace. They just came from watching QUEEN OF THE DAMNED. Which prompted Dang to ask, if you had to fight Lestat which super-hero would you be? And the answers ranged from Superman to Colossus to the Beyonder. They should put us in Cinema One!

We then moved to KSP where we spent the rest of the night talking about the Sopranos and our favorite Twilight Zone episodes.

Saturday night, Brandie and I met up with Karen and Tricia at Big Sky Mind, where we were all surprised to find out that Hank is now the bartender. Jing came along and Eddieboy followed and we just talked about a whole lot of things that had nothing to do with the world of advertising.

Those two nights felt like a mini-break from work.
That we had the chance to hang-out with friends and talk and laugh.
Given the money, I’m sure our lives would make a great Kevin Smith movie.

Fun.

“Fun! Fun! Fun! Or your day back!”









Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...