Skip to main content


Call me Mud!

Just wanted to write down some stuff before it all escapes me, before fatigue and aching muscles get the better of them and I’d rather not write at all.

Yesterday (THURS) had a team building seminar or sorts. The whole Globe Handyphone Team played Gotcha!, that paintball-war game, against the Coke-Jollibee Team of McCann.

Definitely lots of fun!

I spent most of the time lying down on the mud. Slipping, sliding, crawling on the mud, trying to gain a foothold on anything. Felt really helpless. My protective goggles kept fogging up and for safety purposes, I couldn’t remove my goggles and mask while I was on the battle zone.

We played three games.

During the first game, we were the defenders of Hamburger Hill. The Coke Team had to capture our flag. Five minutes into the game and I was already breathing heavy, felt like I could move my legs, and just couldn’t stand up due to the slippery mud. By this time, my green pants and black jacket had turned brown.

During the second game, we had to attack Hamburger Hill. When the team split up, I went with Dadi and Joy. After Dadi got captured, and saw my team mates get killed one-by-one, I thought that I had better do something. From the looks of things, we were on the “safe side” of the battle. We could hear gunshots from above us and below us. While Joy took cover and kept an eye out for the enemy, I slowly began to crawl to the flag. Suddenly the referee said that there was only one minute left in the game. The team that took the higher ground started to open fire. So, I did the same and just shot at the general direction of the flag. July made a dash for the flag but wasn’t about to grab it in time.

After the second game, I just lied down on the ground, didn’t care about the cold mud, and looked up at the sky through my fogged-up goggles, trying to catch my breath. Next thing I knew, everyone had gone to regroup outside. It took me sometime to get back up because of that damned mud.

Camp Abubakar was the third game and we played the role of defender again. I think that was the team’s shining moment. Everyone did their job of covering for each other and protecting the flag. When Mike and Nanni, our defenders of the flag, were shot out of the game, Joel ran out to the flag to defend it. Arjun also ran out of the protection of the bunker when he saw the opposing team coming in too close.

Third, from the Coke Team, got close enough and ran for the flag, but he got splattered with paintballs from everyone in the team (everyone who still had bullets, that is). Even though Third was able to touch the flag, he still got shot before he reached it, and the referee declared us the winners.

After the game, we got to shower, changed into clean clothes, and had the chance to lie down on comfy beds.

We had a quick lunch and the group was asked to get together to discuss and assess what happened.

The common insights were that we should never be afraid to take risks, that it’s only when we take risks that we are able to do anything. Like I said, I felt helpless because I could move with much dexterity and agility, but I guess that shouldn’t have stopped me from doing what I was supposed to do. Once again, I let my fears take over and I ended up not doing much. In a situation where there’s very little time, it’s best to just act and do something… do anything! Rather than not do anything and stay safe.

It was great to see the team “in action”, seeing how everyone covered everyone’s back, which is something that we often do in the office, made more evident on the field of combat.

Nans pointed out that she was motivated to move with encouragement from her team mates. And I guess that’s what we all need, especially with our work, to encourage each other, without have to patronize. To give genuine praise will definitely help other go that extra mile… or that extra foot of muddy terrain.


NOTE TO SELF:

Don’t be afraid to take risks.

Do something new.

Exercise more.

Live life.


It was definitely a great day.

Now I had to go... body in pain... hurts to even just type... ow... ow... ow...



Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living