Skip to main content
Once upon a time...

Many years ago (maybe six or so years ago), I wanted to do a music video for The Jerks' song "Rage". The video would star the futuristic versions of Darna, Panday, and Zuma. These analog versions would battle mecha-powered Metrocom cops in an alternate reality where Martial Law was never lift. I imagined it would animated like how AKIRA was animated.

Since I didn't have the funds or the resourcers to do that, I just thought I'd turn it to a comic book. So, I sent the script to one of the guys and got a couple of sketches in return. Arvie, the artist, loved the idea so much, he started to map out the whole history of the characters in the "music video".

Anyway, our day-jobs got the better of us, and we never even got to do Page 1 of the project.

I just thought of "giving birth" to it now, especially since we wanted to make that story of yet-another-unproduced-anthology called NOV30: A TIME FOR HEROES.

Given the chance, I'd still like the story to be turned to a video, maybe by Ben Hibon, who did this really great video/ animated short called CODE HUNTERS. (Watch it at the Heaven-sent-time-sink that is YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-sSzI3QHtI)

Anyway, for today, you'll get to see the sketches. :)




“RAGE”
The Jerks

Children beggin’ at the streets at night
Knock’n on cars til the morning light
People standin’ in line for a kilo of rice
Welcome to the dark ages
The Era of Lies

Dreams of progress
Of visions gone mad
Mendiola still drenched with innocent blood
When election men rumble
through Smokey Mountain homes

Darkness and peace
Justice dressed in gloom





******


But I go not gently in to the night
Rage against the dying of the light
Sing a song about the terrible sight
Rage until the lighting strike

Go not gently (3x)
And rage with me!

And the names and faces of the tyrants change
But poverty, pain, and murder remain
The voices of truth are locked up in chains
Murder remains
Freedom in flames






*

But I go not gently in to the night
Rage against the dying of the light
Sing a song about the terrible sight
Rage until the heavens cry
Rage until the people strikes!

Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...