Skip to main content
The Flag Bearer

I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character.

In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts.







If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show.

Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, more important that wearing the colors of the flag, the Filipino people identify more with the poor, little girl who becomes a super-woman and the struggling, good-hearted laborer who becomes a hero.

Maybe the Pinoy isn’t so interested in a symbolic figure, but would rather side with someone they can identify with.

So, I find it interesting that there are now several characters that proudly wear the Philippine flag and try to fight the good fight.








These characters are currently independently produced and don’t have the massive distribution of a Darna or Superman comic book, but they do have a following. It would be interesting to see how far their creators can take them.

Maybe someday we’ll see Pinoy kids at the playground, pretending to be these new Pinoy heroes instead of tying blankets around their necks and pretending to fly like Superman.

Maybe someday I’ll give it a try and create a hero that would bear the three stars and the sun.

Comments

brandd said…
I can imagine Three Stars and the Sun as a Bioman style show.
Bata said…
I actually like how Salakay looks! hehehe And the three stars and the sun team looks super futuristic.
Mark Rosario said…
happy independence day, everyone! heheh..
I've resisted creating a character that showed his nationalism a little too close to his sleeve, like wearing a flag. I find it too obvious and heavy handed. It's like songs like "Pinoy Ako" which hammers the point repeatedly. I'd rather people show me than tell me. My idea of a true nationalistic and iconic hero is one that inspires us through his actions, beliefs, principles and convictions, instead of what he wears.
Ner P said…
thank you very much for the feature!!!

I created Sandata because i felt we need one hero who can easily be identified as Pinoy/Filipino. The character already have a following around the world, i get emails from UK, Canada and America.

I wish time will come when children can play as Sandata and not Captain America.

BTW Darna in her appearance as Varga wore the sun and stars too.

Tnx again!

:-)
Reno said…
Does the Philippine Flag Commission still frown on using the flag as a costume? I remember an ad that had a woman wearing the flag as a "baro't saya" but then they had to remove that particular scene becuase allegedly they were ordered to by the government.

Three mainstream komiks superheroes I remember who had a flag motif during the late 80s to early 90s were R. Pinoy (or was it Super R. Pinoy?), Kalasag, and Sibabina She-Oktong (yup, that was his name. He turned gay when he became a superhero, with a flag-themed costume, to boot).
Budjette said…
Hi Reno,

According to a friend of mine, it's illegal to render the flag in such a fashion.
http://alamat.multiply.com/journal/item/221/The_Flag_Bearer

From what I remember, in the US, it's illegal to use the actual flag and use it for something else.

--budjette
Ner P said…
actually it does refer to the official flag, pero others assume differently. otherwise adidas won't be selling those cool jackets
rhardo said…
wow, never knew Salakay would go exposed this far. Thank you so much for this. The fact that Salakay is still roughly a 6-month old character, this is already a hug compliment... a big push for me that is! Maraming salamat, kaibigan! And don't worry, Salakay will keep on...
Paoper said…
Fa-ha-bulous creations!

Popular posts from this blog

Budjette Tan 2023 update

Hi all! If you have somehow stumbled upon this old blog looking for something TRESE related, then you've come to right place.   Well... kind of.   Hi! I'm Budjette Tan, the writer of the comic book TRESE, which I co-created with Kajo Baldisimo.  You can get updates about the book over at https://www.facebook.com/TreseComics   I sometimes talk about the other things I'm writing about at https://www.facebook.com/BudjetteTanStories   And I'm also on Instagram, where I post about what I'm reading, eating, and of course about Trese https://www.instagram.com/budjette/   Over at Twitter, I'm just RT-ing and posting about comics, movies, and whatever else pops up on my feed https://twitter.com/budjette  I'm also on TikTok, but I don't know what to do with that account, so there's nothing to see there. And here's a picture of me about to enter a balate tree... it's not the Great Balete Tree and it did not transport me to another realm. But it wa
PANDAY RIDING THAT HEROIC CYCLE Below is an email ELSA BIBAT posted in the Alamat mailing list , prompted by a thread about making/writing/creating a new Panday story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Okay, okay, I'm back...and I was hoping to have a break from writing stuff. Anyway, it is incredible that someone actually remembered the post. It's been lost to time for exactly a two years now. Thank you for notifying me. Let's begin with the original videotapes. My original videotapes are lost to time, but, I caught all three of the trilogy in ABS-CBN's FPJ Theater... or was that Saturday Action Cinema? GMA 7 went the entire nine yards and showed the entire series in one of their old Tagalog action film shows that were on Saturday nights. The sight alone of the aliens of Panday IV raising the undead and turning innocent villagers to badly made-up extras makes my belly ache. As an aside, FPJ should exercise the rights a

I AM A FILIPINO

I am a Filipino – inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such, I must prove equal to a two-fold task – the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I am sprung from a hardy race – child many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope – hope in the free abundance of the new land that was to be their home and their children’s forever. This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promised a plentiful living