Skip to main content


Scenes from a mall at 10am


Just pulled-out issues from BATCH72 from the Filbars branch in Glorietta. I dropped off 60 copies of B72 back in November 2001. Nine months later, I’ve only sold 17 copies.

You know what that means?

I still can’t quit my day-job.

Meanwhile, CULTURE CRASH and WITCH continue to get sold out.

I did see old issues of MEG, when it was still in its handy “pocketbook” size.
It was an entire box full of issues from last year. So, I guess I’m not the only one with boxes of back issue.

On my way out, I saw a vendo machine that would usually have prepaid call cards, but instead contained Magic cards. The other thing you could get from the vendo machine we’re packs of cigarettes. Who would’ve thought that Magic cards and cigarettes would go together. Talk about being a bad influence on kids.

I passed by Timezone, which was mostly empty, expect for the clerks and security guards. But in one corner of the arcade, I saw two girls in their grey school uniforms, furiously battling each via the Street Fighter video game. Their way of dealing with academic pressure I guess.

Talking about school, the Inquirer today did a feature on the Ateneo. Don’t really know why. Maybe they plan to feature other schools as well. Anyway, one of their articles was called, “You know you’re Atenean if…” The funny thing is, a lot of the stuff they mentioned I didn’t know anymore. Jeez, much as changed. They even had a guide on places to eat inside and outside campus and the only one’s I recognized were the cafeteria and manang’s place at the gym. Everything else was new to me.

They also had a fashion spread that featured Ateneo students. One of the girls was only 16! Half my age! And she was a BABE! Is it just me or is today’s youth definitely better looking when were their age. Something in food… or the water… or maybe it’s cellular radiation.

Well, I’m back at work, about to write more ads that will convince you to use your cellphone.

Later.






Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...