Skip to main content
painting people's house

“ … I probably need to explain once again why I don't stay long on company-owned works. It's as simple as this -- if I don't own it, I'm not going to spend my life on it.

“Or, if you like: you can only paint someone else's house for so long before you start thinking that it might be nice to own your own house one day.

“I'm okay with painting other people's houses for short periods, because I'm good at it and it pays well and on nice days it's fun. But I never ever confuse painting a house for owning that house. And if I spent every waking hour painting other people's houses, I wouldn't be able to build houses of my own.

“The more creators who only took on housepainting as a part-time gig, the healthier this medium would be.” – warren ellis


Which made me think about the work we do in the agency.

Client comes to us and tells us to paint their house.

Make it look pretty!

Make it red!

Make it blue!

Make it look bigger and bigger!

Make it look new and improved!

And sometimes, we do forget that we don’t own the house and we try to renovate everything or make a room for ourselves. (I’m guilty of that sometimes.)

It's also funny how sometimes client lets you get away with the most creative way of painting the house, but then requests, “Can you paint that doorknob pink?” -- and it just kills you because it wasn’t part of your plan. It wasn’t part of the color scheme you had in mind.

There are creatives who see the work as “just another paint job”. Paint it and get it over with.

There are creatives who believe that they are about to paint the next Sistine Chapel.

There are creatives who get the job done and do it great. They take a step back to look at the house and say, “Good job.” They take their break and wait for the next job to come in.

Comments

TRESE is a great house Budje. It's something you can be proud of. It's something that will endure long after we're gone, long after your client's houses are gone. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...