Skip to main content



When you open a comic book you’ll see that the pictures are drawn in little boxes. These boxes are called panels. The spaces in between the panels are called gutters. Right now it feels I’m stuck right there, somewhere in between all the action that’s happening in the comic book industry. Stuck in the gutters.

Last Saturday, after everyone got their “airtime” at Dundee’s place, the guys turned the spotlight to me and asked what was up with me. They’ve been hearing me rant about “HAVING TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE TURNING 30” these past couple of weeks.

So I told. Told them my plans and why I was planning to what I said I’d do. And they all had suggestions on what I should I do. They had questions. I gave answers. I really want to get things done. And then move on to other stuff. Tell other stories.

Early this week, I found out that something’s brewing in the corners of the local comic book scene. Actually, some of it isn’t just brewing—it’s already done!

We used to know about these things. We’d find out before they even started. Heck, some of them came to Cyber Café to show their stuff. But not anymore. I’m stuck in the gutters and there’s all this action happening in the panels.

There’s stuff happening online and a whole lot happening offline. Heard that one of the guys from Alamat finally got his break to do a foreign comic book. Took him several years but he finally did it. He left Alamat because he just thought things were not working out the way it should work out. Well, he’s finally doing a comic book and the rest of us are still trying.

The fourth quarter of the year should be an exciting time for local comic books, if everyone’s plans go well. Let’s see. Hope it all happens. Hope it all comes together.

I just feel like… the playground’s gotten bigger… and all the kids are playing in the bigger, better part it and I’ve been left behind on the old swing.

You know what I mean?

Anyway, I’ve got six months til November.

Lots of time.
Not enough time.

Wish I could take a time-out from work so I can have time to write.

Wish.



Popular posts from this blog

Couple of weeks ago, Ms. Diyco featured another campaign made by the creatives here at Harrison Communications. Here's her review about the Neozep "Neozerye" TV campaign: Romancing the mighty colds cure ADS AND ENDS, Nanette A Franco-Diyco BUSINESS WORLD Vol. XX, No. 139, Friday-Saturday, February 9-10, 2007 http://www.bworldonline.com/Weekender020907/main.php?id=marketing_diyco The four television commercials that serialize the life of pretty housemaid Luwalhati, culminating in a storybook wedding to her once-upon-a-time señorito from the imposing mansion belong to an ad campaign awards class all its own. There have been other spoofs of soap operas selling other brand categories in the past. But for several reasons put together, the Neozep series of commercials that began with honest-to-goodness ad teasers that looked and sounded like teasers for true-blue soap operas proved ultra entertaining and more importantly, "reinforced Neozep’s leadership and further s...

Will you Play it Safe in 2025?

One of my favorite songs which I learned about early this year. Our boss at the agency played this at one of our town hall meetings. It's reminder to all creators that we will always be told to "stick to safe ideas" (which is fine, if you just want to get the work done and go home) but there will always be this other voice at the back of your head that will ask, "Maybe there's another way to do this? Maybe there's a better way to tell this story? Maybe you can tell if from a different point of view and make this old story feel like new? Maybe you can spend a few more minutes working on it? How about it? Let's give it a try? Another hour trying to re-write? Let's give it a go!" What I love about this song is how the lyrics take on the conservative point-of-view and how the visuals show us the exact opposite. One of my favorite bits of this song is this part, where the lyrics starts to give you a "list of commands", like it's a list o...
The Flag Bearer I have always found it curious that in Philippine pop culture, there has never been a popular flag-bearing character. In United States, the obvious example would be Captain America; followed by Wonder Woman (with her red, white, blue and star-spangled outfit) and of course, Superman (whose costume follows the color motif of the American flag). They became symbols for the American people during World War II. In the days after 9/11, more New Yorkers were seen wearing their Superman and Captain America t-shirts. If we take a look at other countries, they didn’t seem to see the need to create such a character. Even when Marvel created characters like The Guardian (a Canadian super-hero) and Union Jack (a British super-hero), they didn’t seem to develop a big enough following and have comic book titles that reached the 100th issue or spin-off to become a TV or cartoon show. Here in the Philippines, popular characters like Darna and Panday are not “flag bearers”. I guess, ...